Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A visit to Wasilla, the real 'Merica



The parting shot is probably the most profound: that somehow us blue-staters are not as American as those in Appalachia or the deep south. Or, hell, Alaska.

What this says to me is, to Palin, any part of the country that doesn't agree with her worldview isn't the "real" America. When, in fact, the different parts of the country and our different outlook are what make America so grand. Imagine if everyone thought like George W. Bush or Sarah Palin. Scary, right? But that's exactly what they want: an America that nods in agreement, unblinking, when they talk.

My blue-state office job doesn't make me less of an American than the farmer in Iowa, or the fisherman in Alaska, or the soldier serving in Iraq. My blue-state city (conservative though it may be) has some of the same wacky folks that Wasilla does. My blue-state outlook is just as patriotic as those folks at the McCain/Palin rallies who shout "terrorist" at the mention of Obama - even though I don't like the thought.

I'll question your judgement, or your ethics, but I'll never question your patriotism. I'm not that cowardly; I can think of better insults.

We're pretty cool here in the blue states. People I know from red states are amazing people, too. A great man has said that already.

by Rope Hoover Palin

No comments: